Particle Effects Editor
A downloadable tool for Windows
I originally created this editor during the development of AMPS - A Musical Platforming Symphony and it was used to design all of the particle effects in that game.
- PFX editor with full GUI controls and live preview
- Lots of options including particle size, rotation, color, speed, emitter shape, emission angle, shrink over time, multiple textures etc.
- Randomize the effect for inspiration / accidental discoveries / fun
- Saves to proprietary text-based .pafx file format (human-readable, easy to parse)
- Includes example C++ code for parsing .pafx files and emitting, updating and rendering particles. Also includes gravity wells and a function pointer to be called on particle death (can spawn particles from particles!)
- Full documentation for editor and example code
I'd like to come back to this editor at some point and add all sorts of features as well as give full C++ rendering implementations for OpenGL and DirectX. You can read more about where this project came from here.
The program comes with 8 example effects. The first 3 demonstrate specific features:
- rocket - A very basic point emitter for a rocket trail
- plus_minus - Shows how effects can have multiple textures
- smooth - Textures can be used to make non-rectangular particles
The other 5 are effects we shipped with AMPS:
- collectable - Lazily drifting musical notes
- laser_beam - A crackling energy beam
- laser_collision - What happens when a beam hits a wall
- player_die - The player disintegrating upon death
- player_respawn - A reversal of the disintegration effect
This program and the example code are provided under the zlib license, which basically means you can do whatever you want with it and I can't be held liable. Any effects you create belong entirely to you. Attribution is not necessary, but I'd love to hear from you if you use this for anything!
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.